Dennis Bay, situated on the northern end of St. John, has a beautiful, sandy beach.
A long time ago, there was a large, fine dwelling and laborer’s cottages that once belonged to Mr. J.E. Lindqvist, the island’s Quarter Officer.
It sat about fifty feet from the water’s edge.
The soil surrounding the property was suitable for growing vegetables and fruits and acres of the land was cared for and cultivated.
There was also a good water supply and lots of grass too which made the land perfect for raising livestock.
One of the bulbs weighed nearly a pound and was almost six inches across!
“Many had no idea that such splendid specimens of this valuable vegetable could be raised on the island.”
It seemed as if in onion-growing, he had fallen upon a minor industry which could become of some importance.
Hurricane of 1916
The entire banana field with lime trees, coconut trees, and bay trees were all gone!
Even the fragile onion bulbs were uprooted.
Just four years prior, one thousand lime trees were planted and they were finally producing a good return when the disaster struck.
Mr. Lindqvist was devastated at the complete loss of all his crops.
Nine years later, he was ready to sell.
He advertised Denis Bay for $3,000.00, a hefty sum for many in those days.
Below, is the 1925 newspaper listing.
On a future visit to the Recorder’s Office, perhaps I’ll find the name of the new owner who admired the beauty and potential of this scenic estate.
*An Update from Eleanor Gibney:
The photo above is actually of the eastern side of Hawksnest Bay where Eleanor lived all of her life. It was part of the larger Estate of Denis Bay, which was split off from Susannaberg in 1906. Lindqvist split the property again in the 1920s, with this part sold to some Danes from St. Croix, and Denis Bay proper going to the West India Company. They opened the Deep Sea Fishing Club there. In 1937, Julius Wadsworth brought the property.